Tuesday 11 October 2011

The footy season is over, so keep reading

AFL that is.  I unashamedly follow Australian Rules football (Aussie Rules) before all other sports.  In fact, other sports don't get much of a look-in, and online news has allowed me to pursue my passion with ease.

Hawthorn's Shane Crawford

Like other ex-pat Victorians, I've been known to moan a bit about the limited (though markedly improved) television coverage of our indigenous game in the northern states.

With the latest television rights deal struck between the AFL, Foxtel and Channel Seven, it appears TV coverage of AFL matches is about to improve (though it will cost the average punter a bit more in subscription fees).

Irrespective, where television has failed me in the past (and may fail me in future if I can't afford a Foxtel subscription), online news reporting of AFL match previews, matches and all the post-game analysis is freely available on the Internet.

Add to that the seemingly endless data on club profiles, player performances, club news, features and the opinions of the so-called 'experts' (not to forget the regular off-field scandals) and online 'footy news' provides as much information as one could possibly consume.

For some reason (maybe it's just me), whatever the numerous official and unofficial AFL sites serve up, I will readily devour.

Just this morning I spent a good half-hour reading in-depth player profiles as the AFL clubs embark on 'Trade Week'.  This is the week when prospective new talent (that is, young footballers) is traded in the form of draft selections.

Experienced players (that is, those closer to the end rather than the beginning of their careers) are recycled as each club attempts to improve its player list in preparation for next season.

Reading the AFL's web site (www.afl.com.au) I've learnt that my club, Hawthorn, is interested in securing the services of an experienced forward to bolster the club's existing crop of goal-kicking talent.

Apparently, Hawthorn is willing to trade an early draft pick (that is, a 17 or 18-year-old potential star of the future) in order to secure such an established player.

What I like about the online version of AFL news is it allows me to keep in touch with the game, from anywhere in the world, throughout the course of the year and not just when games are being played.

The 2012 footy season won't start until March.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep reading about it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment